DIY Burlap and Ribbon Arrow Wreath
I've been kinda slackin on wreath making lately. Having been inspired by my deco mesh snowman wreath this year, I thought I'd rehab an older wreath. A lot of times I just redo or remake an old wreath. I just don't want a bunch of wreaths hanging around not getting used anymore. And I'm more the person to make a new one for a holiday than pull the old one out again for the next year. Check out my Pinterest wreath board for my special ideas.
Past Lives of this wreath frame.
4th of July wreath
Year round wreath
This is what it looked like when I pulled it off my door. Pretty good if you ask me.
I wanted to give it a fresh updated look.
And then I thought I'd update it even more.
- Hobby Lobby, Hobby Lobby, Hobby Lobby!!! Did ya get that? They have everything you need.
- Use the weekly 40% off coupon for Hobby Lobby on the beveled wreath. Styrofoam never goes on sale and it's no cheaper to buy online. Shipping Styrofoam is why Styrofoam is so expensive. Use JoAnn's for your back up store. Between both stores the beveled wreath is available in 12, 14, 16 and 18 inches in white craft and green floral Styrofoam. (green is okay to use as long as it doesn't show through the ribbon. If you are strapped for time and unable to find the size you need, Michaels also sells the same wreath. Michaels and JoAnn's also take coupons, even competitors!
- I use T pins. Nope, I don't use hot glue and I don't use straight pins. Yikes! And I don't tie on my ribbons. Okay, so this is the only item I don't get at Hobby Lobby. GO TO STAPLES! If you don't live close to a Staples, go to Office Depot or Office Max. 100 T pins at Staples is less than $4.
- Ribbon at Hobby Lobby is on sale every other week for 50% off. If it's not this week, wait, it will be next week.
- I use anywhere from 10 to 15 different kinds of ribbon in my wreaths. Stock up during the sale. If you have kids, especially a girl, you will use it! Use 1.5 inch to 2 inch ribbon to wrap your wreath. Or if wrapping in burlap, use 2 inch to 3 inch. Be Careful! The wider the ribbon, the harder to wrap. For the filler ribbons use from the thinnest to 2 inches.
- Jam pack your wreath with ribbons! Don't be stingy! The fuller the better. Use a wide assortment of ribbons, different colors, textures, width, patterns.
- Pick at minimum 3 to 4 colors to use in your wreath. Only using 2 colors will not look right.
- Wooden alphabet letters go on sale too at Hobby Lobby. When they do, it's for 30% off. So you can wait for a sale. It's at least once a month. Or you can use a 40% coupon. Or you can buy it for full price.
- Acrylic paint also goes on sale to 30% about once a month or more.
- Hobby Lobby only accepts one coupon per shopping trip per day! Plan in advance. Look at the sales. It is a rare occasion that paint, ribbon and wooden letters are all on sale at once!
Of course I went to Hobby Lobby and bought some fresh new ribbons.
Everything else was going to be reused from the original wreath.
I pulled all the ribbons off which were connected by T pins.
This is what it looked like when I pulled off what I didn't want.
Oh ya, I also bought an arrow from Hobby Lobby. Arrows are like everywhere!
Overall everything was in a really good condition. This wreath base and burlap is 4 years old. Except for the bugs and the dirt. That was nasty.
The sun did make the burlap darker. Strange, I used to think the sun bleached burlap. I was wrong.
So I added a new door hanger to my wreath.
The arrow blende to much into the burlap color, so I decided to paint it.
I cut up my ribbons in 6 to 8 inch strips. And tied them in knots. Pushed my T pins through the ribbon knots and attached them to my wreath.
If you want to see the play by play on how I make my wreaths click here.
Almost done. I arranged my arrow where I wanted and super glued it to the wreath.
Close ups. Packed full of wonderful!
Watch my DIY wreath video for lots of extra hints to make your wreath special and take it over the top!
Need wreath ideas? Check out my Pinterest Wreath Board!
Hope you enjoy!