How To Be a Pumping Goddess
Do you want so much milk, that it's busting out of your fridge and freezer?
- Get a hospital grade breast pump. I recommend renting a pump like the Medela Lactina or Symphony if you plan on exclusively pumping. These hospital grade pumps will keep up your supply and are better at increasing your supply. If you happen to be breastfeeding and pumping, I like the Medela Freestyle. You can clean the house while you pump. And it's wireless, so you can walk around the house with it.
- Invest in a good pumping bra. A pumping bra is a bra that fits over your pumping flanges and holds them to your breasts. This way you have two free hands to make phone calls, take care of your little one or relax with a good book...All with NO LEAKING!
- Purchase several pumping kits. No one wants to be washing pump parts 8 to 12 times a day. This will be well worth your money. You may be too tired to wash your pieces in the middle of the night.
- See a lactation consultant to fit you with the correct size flange. You will be amazed how much more milk you produce with the proper fitting flange. A too small flange can block flow from the milk ducts.
- Set aside a special area of your home where you can pump in peace or one that's at least cozy. Have your pump, pumping bra, pump pieces ready to go. Sit down with a glass of water too. Breastfeeding naturally increases your thirst.
- Gently massage your breasts to help with let down and improve supply. Make concentric circles starting at your chest and moving toward your nipples.
- Buy the expensive breast milk storage bags. Don't waste your money and lost milk on the cheap ones. I like using the bags because they can store flat. They take up the least room in the fridge and freezer. And if you want to be a Pumping Goddess with tons of breast milk you will need the space.
- Get a kitchen drying rack and put it by the sink. Use it just for drying your washed pump pieces.
- Want more milk than you know what to do with or perhaps you just want to increase your supply? Start taking fenugreek, eating oatmeal and taking Tagamet. Read more about Increasing your Supply.
- And most importantly Take extra good care of you and your breasts. Get pretty and sexy nursing bras. Wearing nice things will make you feel better about yourself. Wear a clean one each day. If you are leaking frequently, change your nursing pads often. Eat a healthy diet with good amounts of protein.
You will find it's easy to become a Milk Pumping Goddess!
Want to make so much more milk that you could feed triplets? Check out my post $20,000 Reasons To Breastfeed.